Guidelines and Specifications
DMAC Implementation Guidelines for Data Providers
The Guidance for Implementation of the Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS) Data Management and Communications (DMAC) Subsystem describes the responsibilities of an IOOS Data Provider published on the official IOOS Web site.
IOOS Service and Data Registration
Registration of the IOOS services and data with IOOS Harvest Registry allows the wide range of various clients efficiently discover U.S. IOOS data. The IOOS Service & Data Registration Guide describes the Harvest Registry API, elaborates on registration process details and best practices for IOOS Data Provider, and provides examples of useful scripts.
IOOS SOS Guidelines
A cookbook for IOOS Application Profile of the OGC SOS v1.0 that includes guidelines, templates, and tests essential for service development and deployment:
- Overview of IOOS SOS Application Profile
- List of IOOS-specific compliance tests
- IOOS SOS 1.0 Web Service Description Document
- IOOS SOS Response Templates:
- DescribeSensor for a network of platforms
- DescribeSensor for a single platform
- Generic OM part
- TimeSeries SWE Data Record’s static and dynamic fields for multiple stations with multiple sensors
- TimeSeries SWE Data Record’s static and dynamic fields for multiple stations with multiple sensors and QC elements
- TimeSeries SWE Data Record’s static and dynamic fields for a single station with a single sensor
- TimeSeriesProfile SWE Data Record’s static and dynamic fields for a station with profiling sensors
- TimeSeriesProfile SWE Data Record’s static and dynamic fields for a station with profiling sensors and QC elements
NetCDF and OPeNDAP
- IOOS netCDF Guidelines
- IOOS Compliance Checker - a tool to check local/remote netCDF datasets against a variety of compliance standards.
Data Encoding in CSV/TSV
The IOOS Convention for Observation Data Encoding in CSV/TSV document describes the rules and constraints for encoding observation data as plain text Comma-Separated Values (CSV) or Tab-Separated Values (TSV).
The IOOS Convention for Observing Asset Identifiers document describes the set of rules used by the IOOS program to assign identifiers to observing assets like measurement stations, platforms, sensors, etc.
A collection of guidelines on the Controlled Vocabularies usage in IOOS-compliant data services (the link temporarily leads to the GitHub repository itself rather then to the GitHub Pages).
Data Services for Animal Telemetry
A collection of documents describing animal telemetry implementation:
- A brief description of the National Animal Telemetry Network (ATN).
- Strategic Plan And Recommendations for a National ATN through U.S. IOOS
- IOOS Animal Acoustic Telemetry (AAT) Data Project.
Passive Acoustics Metadata
The Metadata Convention for Passive Acoustic Recording defines metadata that supports the mission of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for acquisition, archiving, and dissemination of ocean passive acoustic data.
IOOS Catalog of Data and Services
- The IOOS Data Catalog. Open data catalog powered by CKAN and pycsw providing an inventory of IOOS’ data products and services. More Catalog documentation available at https://ioos.github.io/catalog.
- IOOS Catalog GitHub repository for documentation and issues
- Another GitHub repository that holds source codes and modules of the IOOS Service Monitor (old version of the IOOS Catalog)
System Integration Test
The system integration test development site on github contains IPython notebooks demonstrating how to access data from servers in various scenarios.
The IOOS ncSOS adds an OGC SOS service to datasets in your existing THREDDS server. It complies with the IOOS SWE Milestone 1.0 templates and requires your datasets be in any of the CF 1.6 Discrete Sampling Geometries.
i52N and related activities (sensor web harvesters, test tools, etc.)
- i52N-SOS, an IOOS customized build of the 52°North Sensor Observation Service (SOS) that extends the stock upstream 52°North SOS with IOOS specific encoding formats, test data, and more.
- IOOS SOS Compliance Test Tool, a set of CTL (compliance test language) files and utility scripts for thorough standard validation and test of the IOOS SOS implementations.